As I look back on what has been a historic year for HMG Strategy, I realize that we couldn’t have made the incredible strides that we have, as well as the enhancements to our business model, if it weren’t for the extraordinary support of the technology executives and sponsors who make the HMG community the world’s largest independent and most trusted executive network on the planet. Our continued growth at HMG Strategy, now entering our 12th year in serving the community of technology executives, has been extremely gratifying as I look back over the 30-plus years that I've spent in the technology industry and as an executive coach.
Despite what Nicholas Carr may have said, technology does matter – it’s helping to disrupt entire industries and enable companies to introduce new customer-focused business models. Trust also matters and is becoming ever-more important in the world of business. Technology executives who are looking to power their career trajectories and build trust with the CEO and the Board need to think differently and act courageously to lead, reimagine and reinvent the business in helping the enterprise to reach its future state.
On behalf of the entire HMG team that is passionate about our mission in connecting world-class technology leaders and helping to power their career ascent, we are extremely grateful for your continued support and encouragement.
Here are some of the key highlights from 2018:
- HMG Strategy’s 2018 Executive Leadership Summits generated record attendance and record revenue in 2018. These included 30-plus events in major technology markets, including New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, Menlo Park, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, San Diego, Charlotte, Detroit, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Greenwich, St. Louis, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Toronto, and London. The 2019 schedule will include live events in those cities, plus an expanded schedule of webinars and exclusive in-person meetings for select groups of senior executive leaders. We are particularly grateful to HMG Strategy's key sponsors, including Adobe, CenturyLink, Dell Boomi, Google Chrome Enterprise, Nutanix, Rubrik, ServiceNow, Western Digital, Workday, and Zoom.
- 2018 also marked the release of my fifth book, The CEO of Technology: Lead, Reimagine, and Reinvent to Drive Growth and Create Value in Unprecedented Times, published by Wiley, the world’s leading publisher of business, science and technology books. I’m currently working on my sixth book, “Future State 2025: An Executive Leadership Manifesto on Technologies and Companies Reshaping the Enterprise Through Continuous Innovation and Relentless Self-Disruption," which will be published by Wiley in 2019. I’m actively interviewing technology executives across industries for their insights.
- Membership for HMG Strategy’s CIO and CISO Executive Leadership Alliance (CELA) more than doubled in 2018. New brands now participating in HMG Strategy's distinctive peer-to-peer advisory service now include Bloomin' Brands, Deloitte, Equinix, Hargreaves Lansdown, IBM, Juul Labs, MACOM, Micron Technology, Novant Health, and Perrigo.
- Revenue generated through HMG Strategy's award-winning Digital Platform, including co-branded white papers, webinars, blog posts, case studies and other content, more than doubled in 2018. New sponsors that contributed to this growth include Darktrace, HCL Technologies, Magenic, Onapsis, SAP, SecurityScorecard, and Windsor Group.
Looking ahead to 2019, I also want to point to several new services being launched by HMG Strategy that should offer tremendous value to members of the HMG community. These include:
- The expansion of HMG Strategy’s Omnichannel Media Platform. New services being introduced under HMG Strategy’s Omnichannel Media Platform include HMG TV, a series of monthly interviews conducted by me with innovative technology leaders and sponsor executives. Topics to be explored on HMG TV will include:
- Leading into the Boardroom
- Becoming Boardroom-Ready
- Digital Disruption in an Omnichannel World
- How to Thrive and Survive in a Hostile Cyber Environment
- Vendor Negotiation Strategies that Work
- Leading a Multi-Generational Organization
- The Hottest AI Trends from Silicon Valley
HMG Strategy will also be introducing a new peer-driven research metric that will rate technology executives’ overall satisfaction with and their willingness to recommend technology vendors to their colleagues. The HMG Execution Performance Score (EPS) Index will be based on more than a dozen inputs shared by technology executives regarding the vendors they invest with, including price performance, level of innovation achieved, customer service, quality of products and services, strength of business partnership and ease of doing business.
HMG Strategy is also adding two additional research services in 2019 - the Pivotal Vision Research Service which will provide peer-driven insights to forward-looking technology executives who are focused on innovation, business transformation, disruption and career ascent in the 21st Century enterprise. This will be complemented by a boardroom-ready certification program HMG will be offering to top-tier technology leaders who are interested in strengthening their communications and interactions with the board of directors as well as grooming technology executives to sit on a public board of directors.
In addition, HMG Strategy will be ramping up its commitment and involvement in strengthening education and awareness around Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) disciplines. Through our partnerships with NPower, Year Up and industry associations, we are dedicated to helping the industry to address the severe skill shortages being faced by companies across sectors while helping to nurture the professional development of young adults and military veterans. Stay tuned for more on this.
HMG Strategy’s success is centered upon our Seven Pillars of Trust:
- HMG Strategy’s distinctive Thought Leadership Research Agenda and Digital Research Platform provide tech executives with unparalleled peer-to-peer insights.
- HMG Strategy’s unique Media Model, providing 1 million weekly impressions, delivers fresh perspectives on the top business, leadership and customer trends.
- Research Advisory Services Embrace the ‘No Analyst’ Model, delivering peer-driven, forward-looking insights to Fortune 2000 tech executives.
- Executive Leadership Summit Series which provides unparalleled networking between top-tier technology executives and search executives.
- Delivering a Career Accelerator that inspires technology executives to lead, recruit and retain top tech talent while powering their career trajectories.
- HMG Next Ventures Partners side-by-side with leading venture capitalists, connecting members of the HMG community with leading enterprise startups.
- HMG Cares. Giving back to the community is a core value at HMG Strategy. We partner with leading organizations such as NPower and Year Up to train and support young adults and military veterans and provide them opportunities to reach their potential.
We believe that HMG Strategy’s 2018 summit theme – ‘Lead, Reimagine, Reinvent – Building a Customer-Centric Organization in Highly Disruptive Times’ dovetails perfectly with our 2019 summit theme – ‘Future State 2025 – Driving the Digital Roadmap to a Customer-Centric Enterprise’. Forward-thinking technology executives need to be focused on working closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors to envision and execute on developing the future state for the business in order to deliver on customer and shareholder expectations.
The scale and scope of our research offerings have increased dramatically and substantially. The range and value of opportunities we create for our audience is staggering. We are genuinely grateful and deeply proud of our achievements in 2018, and we look forward to even great success in 2019.